In addition to debugger functions, you can use the PICkit 3 programmer/debugger system as a development programmer. Although, it is not recommended to use the PICkit 3 programmer/debugger as a production programmer, still, it will do the trick.
The debugger system executes code like an actual device because it uses a device with built-in emulation circuitry, instead of a special debugger chip, for emulation. Accordingly, you can access all available features of a given device interactively and you can set and modify via the MPLAB IDE interface.
PICkit 3 Programmer/Debugger Features
- Full-speed USB support using Windows standard drivers
- Real-time execution
- Processors run at maximum speeds
- Built-in over voltage/short circuit monitor
- Low voltage to 5V (1.8-5V range)
- Diagnostic LEDs (power, active, status)
- Read/write program and data memory of microcontroller
- Erase of all memory types (EEPROM, ID, configuration, and program) with verification
- Peripheral freeze at breakpoint
For the complete datasheet, please visit this link.